Sausage meat and pastry, brilliant – everyone loves a sausage roll, perfect Christmas party food. The below recipe will make around 20 sausage rolls, depending on how fat you cut them!
- 400 sausage meat
- 375g ready-rolled puff pastry
- Handful of fresh parsley
- Half a clove of garlic
- 50ml cold water
- One egg
A deep sea diver, maximum (that’s a fiver in rhyming slang)
- Preheat the oven to 180c
- In a blender, add the parsley, garlic and sausage meat and blend so the consistency is smoother like a rough paste.
- Add the paste to a bowl with the cold water and season with salt and pepper – mix all together, set aside
- Roll out your pastry, on greaseproof paper, onto a baking tray. Cut the pastry in half lengthways so you have two long skinny halves.
- Run the mixture in a line down the length of the pastry, leaving a gap of 1CM from one of the edges.
- One this is done, fold them over and press together
- Cut the two tubes into little rolls.
- Beat the egg and brush over each roll
- Back for 25-35 minutes until puffed up and brown.
- Eat warm or leave to cool and then remove from the grease proof paper.
- Make sure you use grease proof paper so that the roles don’t stick to the baking tray
- The added water helps the pastry fluff up, so it’s worth doing.