This is a delicious salad that will visually impress your family and friends, as well as tasting great. Quick, simple and tasty – the novice chef’s mantra! The below recipe makes six portions
- 12 pancetta slices (don’t by the cubes, they don’t really work for this)
- 50g of pine nuts
- balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
- sea salt
- 6 ripe avocados
- 4 handfulls of spinach leaves
Avocado’s aren’t the cheapest item, but you can get six for around £4. The pancetta, depending on the quality, can be bought for £2-£3 – so while this isn’t the cheapest salad, you’re getting more than a garden salad, and serves six people.
- Peel and quarter your avocado, if you don’t know how to do this, there is a good video by Chef Rich Jacobs on YouTube. Lay your avocado on a serving plate. You may wish to spread this out over two plates – your salad your rules.
- Fry your pancetta in a frying pan until crispy and set to one side to cool. Turn the heat down and lightly toast your pine nuts in the same pan.
- While the nuts cook, on top of the avocado, place your spinach leaves. Don’t be tight with your spinach, but don’t bury the avocado.
- Place the pancetta neatly, or however you like, on top.
- Your nuts should now be cooked, so sprinkle them on top of the salad and pancetta.
- Drizzle over a good quality olive oil and some balsamic and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- How good does that look?